Monday, September 19, 2011

Missing Mozart - Lost and Found


The other day I was listening to NPR and heard a part of a Mozart sonata that I had played years ago when I was in high school. That Mozart sonata was SO much a part of me...I had memorized most of it, practiced it hours on end on my piano at home, and had a well-marked copy of Mozart sonatas that had been my "textbook"...and continued to be one of my most treasured possessions. That morning last week when I heard "my" sonata on the radio, I immediately went to our music collection in the living room to pull out my collection of Mozart sonatas.
      I looked for it. And I looked. And I LOOKED. Everywhere.  The book seemed to have completely vanished. I couldn't believe it. I knew I had played from it many times in the last few months. I treasured that old collection of Mozart sonatas with my piano teacher's pencil marks, its frayed edges, and the absent cover. As I absorbed the possibility of my music book's disappearance, I was....surprisingly even to me!!...devastated. I cried. It felt as though part of my heart had been cut out. I was reminded yet again of HOW important music is to me..and how I ache to resume a regular practice regimen...including, yes, "my" Mozart sonata.... That book of sonatas was a tangible sign of that. A sacrament, in a way.
      All I could do during that day was to pray that I would find my beloved music book of sonatas. But beyond that, be willing to put it back into the loving hands of the great Creator and Master Musician....and put myself there as well.....and find some inner peace in so doing....

      And then...hours later...prayers answered.... my Mozart Sonatas book finally surfaced...in a stack of unrelated music books that had been inadvertently moved out into our Guest House off the carport in a gusto of "let's straighten up the house"!!  :-)
      The joy I felt was so deep, so real, and so amazing. And, yes, I have re-committed to a regular piano practice time...pulling out not only "my" Mozart...but other pieces that had been so a part of my life and my heart for so many years. Hopefully my mind and fingers will be up to the task. I know my heart is.

As I reflect back upon this experience of the last few days, I cannot help but wonder how God must feel when one of his precious ones is "lost" ... and then is "found." The joy that God must feel when we return to God and are then able to be instruments once more of God's amazing grace:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. 
I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see....

Thanks be to God for Mozart, for "finding" and being "found," and for God's "Amazing Grace"!! 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment